LEXINGTON, Ky. (10/28/13) The University of Kentucky women’s tennis continued their fall season at the Tennessee Fall Invite on Friday, Oct. 25 hosted by the University of Tennessee.
The three-day tournament began at 10 a.m. ET for the Wildcats who faced The Ohio State University in singles action. Freshman Aldila Sutjiadi and junior Kelsey Dieters, who transferred from OSU, both won their matches against the Buckeyes. Junior Edmée Morin-Kougoucheff, senior Caitlin McGraw, sophomore Kirsten Lewis and junior Stephanie Fox fell to their opponents.
In a thrilling match against Gabriella DeSantis, Sutjiadi managed to come out on top after DeSantis forced a deciding third set. Sutjiadi won the match, 6-3, 5-7 and 6-4.
Dieters had little trouble taking down her opponent, Graine O’ Neill. Deiters defeated the Ohio State freshman, 6-0, 6-1.
“I am very pleased with how I played today,” Dieters said. “It was a great start to the weekend. We look forward to competing together tomorrow and getting better each day.”
In the doubles competition, Kentucky boasted a 2-1 record against Southeastern Conference rivals Tennessee. McGraw and CeCe Witten fell to Joanna Henderson and Caitlyn Williams, 8-3.
UK duos Morin-Kougoucheff and Dieters and Sutjiadi and Kirsten Lewis both cruised past their Volunteer opponents 8-2 and 8-4, respectively.
“It was a great day as we continued learning as a team,” head coach Carlos Drada said. “We will go get better again tomorrow and hopefully grab some more wins.”
Kentucky will continue the tournament 10 a.m. ET on Saturday against North Carolina State in singles action. Doubles will begin at 1 p.m. ET against OSU.
Ohio State vs. Kentucky - Singles
1. Aldila Sutjiadi, UK, def. Gabriella DeSantis, OSU, 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
2. Miho Kawase, OSU, def. Edmée Morin-Kougoucheff, UK, 6-4, 6-0
3. Kelsey Dieters, UK, def. Graine O'Neill, OSU, 6-0, 6-1
4. Sandy Niehaus, OSU, def. Caitlin McGraw, UK, 7-6, 6-0
5. Ferny Angeles Paz, OSU, def. Kirsten Lewis, UK, 6-1, 6-2
6. Noelle Malley, OSU, def. Stephanie Fox, UK, 6-3, 7-5
Tennessee vs. Kentucky - Doubles
1. Henderson/Williams, UT, def. McGraw/Witten, UK, 8-3
2. Morin-Kougoucheff/Dieters, UK, def. Repic/Guevremont, UT, 8-2
3. Sutjiadi/Lewis, UK, def. Lindl/Tavares, UT, 8-4
Information provided by UK Athletics
© Copyright 2015 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story on social media.
|< Prev||Next >|