KENTUCKY (7/5/14) — Have you ever wanted to create your own light bulb?
Our “Science Guy” Jason Lindsey shows us how to create the toilet paper tube light bulb by using a few ingredients from around the house.
- Electrical Tape
- 8 “D” Batteries
- 0.7 mm Pencil Lead
- Mason Jar
- 2 Wires with Alligator Clips
- Toilet Paper Roll
- STEP 1: Use the electrical tape to secure all of the “D” batteries together in a series.
- STEP 2: Use the electrical tape to secure the alligator clips to the sides of the toilet paper roll.
- STEP 3: Place a 0.7 mm piece of pencil lead between the alligator clips at the top of the toilet paper roll.
- STEP 4: Place the Mason jar over the toilet paper roll, alligator clips, and 0.7 mm piece of pencil lead.
- STEP 5: Close the circuit by touching the ends of the alligator clips to the ends of the roll of batteries.
The electrons from the battery flow through the alligator clips and pencil lead, which is actually graphite, creating a closed circuit. The graphite or filament becomes so hot it glows and fills the Mason jar with smoke.
Go to www.hookedonscience.org for more experiments that might get you and your family “Hooked on Science.”
Jason Lindsey Hooked on Science
Disclaimer: The content supplied by columnists and letters to the Editor on this site does not in any way, shape or form, implied or otherwise, necessarily express or suggest endorsement or support of any of such content, statement, or opinions therein. SurfKY News does not necessarily adhere to or endorse content provided by outside non-staff sources.
© Copyright 2015 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story by using one of the social media links below.
|< Prev||Next >|