MURRAY, Ky. (2/20/14) – Murray State broke out the bats Wednesday afternoon as seven players collected multi-hit games in a 17-1 victory over Mid-Continent at Reagan Field.
The game was scoreless through the first three innings before MSU erupted for nine runs in the fourth inning.
- Michael Hargrove and Luke Daugherty delivered back-to-back RBI singles to get the Breds on the board.
- Taylor Mathews, Ty Stetson and Kollin Dowdy each delivered two-run doubles in the frame.
- Hargrove closed out the scoring with a run-producing double to left center.
After the Cougars got on the scoreboard in the top of the fifth, the Breds answered right back with three more runs in the bottom of the inning. Tyler Lawrence started the inning with a double, and was followed by three-straight RBI singles off the bats of Mathews, Stetson and Matt McGowan.
The reserves got into the act in the act in the eighth inning as freshman Clay Kelly delivered a two-run single to right center, and Matthew Johnson followed with an RBI single to right field. For both players, it was their first collegiate hit and RBI.
The pitching was not to be outdone as five pitchers combined to allow just one run on four hits.
- Cameron Wallace (1-0) picked up the win after allowing one run on one hit and striking out three in two innings.
- John Lollar made his collegiate debut and fanned two over two innings.
- BT Wichman also made his debut and struck out one in one inning.
The Breds return to action Friday afternoon as they open a three-game series against Bowling Green. First pitch is set for 2 p.m.
Dowdy led the offense by going 4-for-6 with a pair of doubles, two RBIs and two runs scored. Mathews finished 3-for-4 with a double, triple and three RBIs, while Daugherty went 3-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored. Stetson and Kelly each added two hits and three RBIs.
Information provided by John Brush
© Copyright 2014 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story by using one of the social media links below.
|< Prev||Next >|