HOPKINSVILLE, Ky. (11/15/13) — A small smoldering fire was found contained in a trash can inside the science lab of Hopkinsville High School prior to the start of school Thursday, Nov. 14.
The fire was discovered by the school's custodian at 4:51 a.m. The custodian took all necessary steps to control the situation and officials were notified immediately. When the fire marshal arrived at the school, he determined the cause as spontaneous combustion. No one was injured.
The science lab and remaining rooms on that wing of the school have been blocked off temporarily. Classrooms on that wing of the building have moved to alternate
locations in the building. The insurance representative is on his way to the school
to address the cleanup of the lab.
HHS Principal Curtis Higgins said he is appreciative of staff members and local officials working together in a timely manner to control the situation. Higgins said the school will operate on its regular schedule for both students and staff.
Information provided by Heather Aubin Lancaster
© Copyright 2015 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story by using one of the social media links below.
|< Prev||Next >|