DEPOY, Ky. (1/30/14) — Investigators have ruled the house fire that claimed the lives of nine members of a family to be accidental.
According to Kentucky State Police Trooper Stu Recke, who has been the official spokesman for the tragedy, the cause of the fire has been determined as likely to due to an electric baseboard heater in the bedroom, which ignited nearby combustibles.
The home of Chad and LaRae Watson and their nine children was reported on fire at 2:01 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 30 by a neighbor.
The house is located at 3724 Motes Lane, Depoy, which is about 3.5 miles west of Greenville.
LaRae Watson, 35, and eight of the couple's children perished in the fire including Madison Watson, 15; Kaitlyn, 14; Morgan, 13; Emily 9; Samuel, 8; Raegan Watson, 6; and, twins Mark and Nathaniel, 4.
Eight of the 11 family members were located in the front of the room in what is believed the master bedroom.
The ninth was located approximately 10 to 15 feet away from them. The victim's bodies have been removed and taken to the Medical Examiner's Office in Madisonville for autopsy and identification purposes.
The father Chad Watson, 36, is listed in critical but stable condition and daughter, Kylie, 11, is listed in stable condition.
A special memorial account has been set-up at First Kentucky Bank for the Watson Family. Anyone wanting to make a donation to the Watson Memorial Family Fund, may do so at any First Kentucky location. Other banking locations that are serving as donation sites include Old National Bank: Calvary Baptist Church Watson Family; and, Commonwealth Community Bank: Calvary Baptist Church Watson Family Fund.A Facebook Page has been set up regarding fundraisers at: https://www.facebook.com/WatsonFamilyFundraiser2014
Rita Dukes Smith
SurfKY News Director
© Copyright 2014 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story by using one of the social media links below.
|< Prev||Next >|