LEXINGTON, Ky. (7/19/14) — The Southeastern Conference announced three University of Kentucky volleyball matches and two women’s soccer matches in the month of August will be featured as part of the new SEC Network +, the digital steaming component of the new SEC Network.
The five contests in August will air on SEC Network + via SECNetwork.com and WatchESPN and are in addition to eight UK volleyball matches and three soccer matches scheduled for broadcast on the SEC Network and ESPNU. The full slate of matches scheduled to air on the SEC Network + will be announced at a later date.
The volleyball team’s home-opener vs. Wichita State Aug. 29 at 6:30 p.m. ET will mark its first appearance on the SEC Network +. UK’s matches Aug. 30 against Butler at 10 a.m. and Virginia Tech at 8 p.m. will also air on the SEC Network’s digital platform. All three contests are part of the four team Bluegrass Battle at Memorial Coliseum.
Kentucky’s two women’s soccer home matches in August, against Francis Marion Aug. 29 and 7:30 p.m. ET and Ohio University on Aug. 31, 2 p.m. ET will both be covered by the new digital component of the network. The Wildcats will celebrate the stadium dedication of the new Wendell & Vickie Bell Soccer Complex before their contest with Ohio Aug. 31.
SEC Network Digital Platform Begins Roll-Out
- SEC Network + to deliver more than 550 digital-exclusive live SEC sports events via SECNetwork.com and WatchESPN beginning August 14
- SECSports.com launched as new online home for athletic programs of SEC and Member Schools
- Technology Supporting SEC Network Multimedia Launch Connects Member Schools and ESPN Production Facilities
In the build-up to the launch of SEC Network August 14, ESPN and the SEC are beginning the roll-out of the digital elements of the multi-screen initiative with the kickoff of a brand new SECsports.com and SECNetwork.com.
From day-one, the SEC Network will be a fully integrated cross-platform media network, with robust sites and authenticated access to the SEC Network simulcast via WatchESPN for fans with access to the SEC Network through their TV provider. In addition, fans with the SEC Network will have exclusive access to hundreds of additional live events through SEC Network + on SECNetwork.com and via WatchESPN.
SEC Network +
SEC Network + - exclusively available on SECNetwork.com and via WatchESPN - will add live and on-demand coverage of more than 550 digital-exclusive sporting events to the SEC Network multi-screen output in the first year. Ranging across multiple sports from all member schools, SEC Network + events will all be high-quality, multi-camera productions – enabled by extensive new technological and production capabilities built out by ESPN and SEC schools in support of the SEC Network launch.
In addition to authenticated access to the SEC Network and SEC Network + (via laptops and desktops; access via iOS and Android smartphones and tablets is via WatchESPN), SEC Network + will also serve as a platform to deliver additional events produced by the schools and SECNetwork.com will also feature original short clips, video from studio programs, original digital video projects and more.
SEC Network + will launch August 14, along with the launch of the SEC Network television network. The initial August SEC Network + schedule of live and exclusive events includes:
Date Time (ET) Away Team Home Team
- 8 p.m. CREIGHTON ARKANSAS
- 7 p,m. MIAMI (FL) FLORIDA
- 8 p.m. IOWA STATE MISSISSIPPI STATE
- 8 p.m. UTAH STATE ARKANSAS
- 8 p.m. MERCER VANDERBILT
- 8 p.m. KENNESAW STATE ALABAMA
- 8 p.m. DAYTON TEXAS A&M
- 12:30 p.m. CINCINNATI MISSISSIPPI STATE
- 1 p.m. SOUTH FLORIDA FLORIDA
- 2 p.m. UNC-GREENSBORO GEORGIA
- 2 p.m. IOWA STATE OLE MISS
- 6 p.m. SAMFORD SOUTH CAROLINA
- 8 p.m. OKLAHOMA STATE ARKANSAS
- 8 p.m MEMPHIS ALABAMA
- 8 p.m. STEPHEN F. AUSTIN TEXAS A&M
- 6:30 p.m. BOSTON UNIVERSITY SOUTH CAROLINA
- 7:30 p.m. FRANCIS MARION KENTUCKY
- 8 p.m. CINCINNATI VANDERBILT
- 8 p.m. UC-IRVINE AUBURN
- 8 p.m. UCF TEXAS A&M
- 2 p.m. LAFAYETTE OLE MISS
- 2 p.m. OHIO UNIVERSITY KENTUCKY
- 2:30 p.m. MILWAUKEE SOUTH CAROLINA
- 2:30 p.m. LLINOIS STATE TEXAS A&M
- 3:30 p.m. GEORGIA SOUTHERN AUBURN
- 7 p.m. SOUTHERN MISS MISSISSIPPI STATE
- 12 p.m. GEORGIA SOUTHERN FLORIDA
- 6:30 p.m. WITCHITA STATE KENTUCKY
- 7:30 p.m. IDAHO FLORIDA
- 7 p.m. GARDNER-WEBB SOUTH CAROLINA
- 8 p.m. TENNESSEE STATE ARKANSAS
- 8 p.m. TULANE TEXAS A&M
- 10 a.m. BUTLER KENTUCKY
- 12 p.m. STEPHEN F. AUSTIN ARKANSAS
- 1 p.m. JACKSONVILLE SOUTH CAROLINA
- 2 p.m. IOWA STATE TEXAS A&M
- 2:30 p.m. OKLAHOMA FLORIDA
- 7 p.m. GEORGIA TECH SOUTH CAROLINA
- 7 p.m. MICHIGAN ARKANSAS
- 8 p.m. UTSA TEXAS A&M
- 8 p.m. VIRGINIA TECH KENTUCKY
SEC Network + will also feature replays of events first aired live on SEC Network on television and via the WatchESPN and SECNetwork.com live streams
SECsports.com is the new official digital home for the Southeastern Conference, and provides news and video filtered for each school and sport. SECSports.com will provide fans with sports news, information, stats, schedules, video and ticket sales from around the SEC and in collaboration with each school. It also features information about the conference, its schools and access to the SEC Store online.
The new SECSports.com is a fully responsive site – dynamically adjusting across devices. Rather than a separate experience on each device that fans use every day, the new SECsports.com adjusts to the individual device - presenting all the same great content in the best way.
The site is built and operated by the SEC Network team at ESPN, and operates separately from ESPN’s digital news and information organization, which will continue to cover the SEC independently.
ESPN Technology and the ESPN Statistics & Data team, working with the SEC and its schools, have developed a system that will allow SECsports.com to deliver real-time scores, statistics and standings for multiple sports that did not previously have live scoring.
Technology Behind the SEC Network
The ability of ESPN to leverage the combined SEC and ESPN technology infrastructure will set the SEC Network and its digital media platforms apart.
In support of the launch of SEC Network, all SEC member schools and ESPN’s production facilities in Charlotte and Bristol all have full and direct fiber connectivity between them (and by virtue – connectivity to ESPN facilities in Seattle, Austin, Los Angeles, New York). This, along with new hardware and software systems allows content to be created, edited, encoded and delivered across different media platforms with incredible efficiency.
ESPN and the SEC have worked closely with all 14 member schools to build and/or upgrade production facilities, hardware and software - as well as providing training on their use – allowing for significantly expanded ability to deliver live sports event coverage.
This has resulted in (among other things):
- 96 SEC sporting venues that now have direct connectivity for production purposes
- 10 new control rooms, multiple new cameras, switchers and more at SEC schools
- Extensive upgrade to ESPN’s Charlotte production facility – enhancing the capabilities of an already state-of-the-art facility.
Information provided by UK Athletics
© Copyright 2014 SurfKY News Group, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, or rewritten without permission. SurfKY News encourages you to share this story by using one of the social media links below.
|< Prev||Next >|