KENTUCKY — A certain measure of overindulgence is anticipated during the holiday season.
Rich foods and desserts are served, and parties are plentiful. However, those who plan to stick to their healthy eating plans can still enjoy tastes of the season without compromising their fitness or dietary goals.
Many recipes can be made healthier with some simple substitutions, and that even includes decadent desserts. Take, for example, "Wickedly Decadent Deep Chocolate Truffles" from "Low Fat for Life," (DK) by Sue Krietzman. This low-fat version of a high-fat classic will taste delicious without being too sinful.
Wickedly Decadent Deep Chocolate Truffles Makes 24
• 6 ounces semisweet chocolate
• 6 ounces very low-fat fromage frais
• 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated
1. Break the chocolate into a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Let it melt, stirring occasionally.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the fromage frais and sugar. Whisk in the vanilla.
3. When the chocolate is melted and smooth, remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Slowly whisk the chocolate into the fromage frais mixture, using a rubber spatula to incorporate every bit of chocolate. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for an hour.
4. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Scatter the grated chocolate on a plate. Scoop out the chilled chocolate mixture in teaspoonfuls, roll into balls, then roll the balls in the grated chocolate and put on the prepared baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm.
5. Put the truffles in small paper cases. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Per truffle: Total fat: 2 g; saturated fat: 1 g; unsaturated fat: 1 g; cholesterol: 1 mg; sodium: 3 mg; calories: 52.
This page is an archive. To learn more about archive pages click here
The responses below are not provided, commissioned, reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by any financial entity or advertiser. It is not the advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.