There are plenty of car insurance companies to choose from, but how many of them cater to the financial needs of seniors? When it comes to security, seniors need car insurance that saves them money and protects them from financial ruin. It can be difficult to choose one insurance provider that guarantees that you and your family will be safe when––and if––misfortune hits you while driving.
As a senior, it is essential that you have auto insurance that protects your money. In this case, your car insurance has to provide you suitable coverage and a policy that guarantees the perks and discounts that you’ve earned based on your driving history. To help you choose the right insurance provider, we researched and picked the five best car insurance for seniors in Kentucky. In this post, you will find car insurance providers that guarantee great service at affordable rates. We have also included some discounts you can get if you're a senior citizen.
Are You Ready to Save?
Affordable Car Insurance for Seniors in Kentucky
The city that you live in affects your car insurance rate. If you take a look at the chart below, you will see that car insurance in certain cities is more expensive than in others. For example, if you live in Coleman, you will likely pay much more than Russelville residents.
Even though Kentucky’s average income per capita was reported to be between $33,237 to $32,202, Kentucky rates are a bit higher than nearby states. These rates can vary, and it all depends on the profile and background of the policyholder. Some car insurance companies take into consideration that experience comes with age. The younger you are, the more likely you are to get into an accident. In your case, if you’re 50 years of age or older, then you may have more driving experience. This means that your car insurance rate can decrease the older that you get, as long as you keep a clean record.
Kentucky Farm Bureau
Since 1943, Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance has provided financial security to families. It’s one of the largest insurance companies in Kentucky, and they have been awarded by A.M. as the "best company," acknowledging their consistency and outstanding performance over the past five years. This insurance company is highly rated and well respected. If you’ve considered this auto insurance in the past, then this is a sign for you.
With multiple policies and discounts to choose from, the Kentucky Farmer Bureau esteems all drivers. With the Defensive Driving Course Discounts, they honor drivers of 55 years of age or older who favorably achieve a certified security program. All you have to do is provide your certificate of achievement, and the company will save you some money.
Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance offers the following auto insurance coverages:
- Auto Liability Coverage: This coverage covers bodily injury liability, property damage liability, and auto physical damage coverage.
- Auto Physical Damage Coverage: This coverage covers collisions and all regarding collisions.
- Coverage for Added Protection: This one covers uninsured motorists and includes personal injury protection.
If you’re looking for other coverages, then this one covers medical expenses, towing, and labor costs. In addition to rental reimbursement and transportation expenses.
- Multiple coverages to choose from
- Discounts to Seniors
- Defensive Driving Course Discounts
- Not convenient to those who plan to move out of Kentucky
Progressive claims that many people trust them to help with any expense relating to their car because they have multiple savings offers. One thing is for sure: you can get insurance quotes in a matter of minutes. This insurance is an excellent choice for senior drivers. Based on our research, it has one of the best common rates. Drivers aged 50 to 74 have the lowest prices for their rates in many states. However, these rates can be affected by several other factors, like driving history and location.
With years of driving experience in their belt, senior drivers often have safe driving routines and abide by the road’s rules. Progressive doesn’t ignore this but instead trusts that senior citizens will drive safely and mindfully.
On their site, you can see that Progressive offers the following car policies:
- Liability Coverage: This coverage pays expenses related to car damage and harm you’ve caused to others while driving. This coverage helps you pay court and attorney expenses as well.
- Comprehensive and Collision Coverage: This coverage pays costs of unforeseen car repairs or replacements if it was vandalized, stolen, hitting an animal, fire, or acts of nature. On the other hand, collision coverage helps you pay for any car damage done in an accident regardless of who’s at fault.
- Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist: This coverage protects you from uninsured drivers who can't pay for damages.
We mentioned earlier that Progressive has insightful tools, and one of them is the "Name Your Price" tool. With this tool, you can enter the budgeted amount you’re willing to pay for your vehicle insurance and it will show you the type of coverage that falls under that price range. That way you can review what your options are and find a combination of price and coverage that fits your needs.
- Offers better rates for drivers aged 50 to 74
- Name Your Price tool matches coverage to your budget
- Snapshot programs may increase rates for high-risk drivers
GEICO claims to have helped people save money for more than seven decades. Because they deliver cheap car insurance rates, this is one of the best car insurance for seniors in the state of Kentucky. GEICO claims to provide an exceptional policy with great coverage and top-rated customer service. These two factors are what make so many car owners trust this insurance in case they’re hit by unexpected events on the road.
Prime Time discounts help you save money if you’re 50 years old or older. You also qualify if in the past three years you didn’t have any accidents or violations and if your car is not used for business. But you can’t let individuals with 25 years or less drive your vehicle. Prime Time is available in the state of Kentucky.
GEICO is one of the car insurances for seniors that provides more coverage options and discount choices.
On their site, GEICO offers the following car policies:
- Collision Coverage: This type of coverage helps you pay for repair expenses if your vehicle was hit by another vehicle. This coverage also helps you pay repair expenses if you were hit by another vehicle or object. Unlike some other coverages, you don’t have to set a limit because their coverage is based on the actual cash value of your car. However, collision coverage provides coverage for damages to your vehicle but doesn’t cover another person’s car or property. This coverage also doesn't cover damages done to your car that include vandalism, theft, fire, and floods.
- Comprehensive Coverage: This type of coverage covers expenses of damages done to your vehicle if you're involved in an accident not caused by a crash. Comprehensive coverage does cover damages like hail, vandalism, hitting an animal, and theft. theft, vandalism, hail, and hitting an animal. This type of coverage doesn’t require a limit because it’s based on the actual cash value of your car.
- Medical Payment Coverage: This type of coverage is optional in some states but required in other states. Also known as ‘med pay’, this coverage helps cover medical and funeral expenses related to harm caused by a car accident. This optional coverage covers medical expenses regardless of who caused the car accident if you were involved in an accident while in someone else’s car, or you were hit as a pedestrian. The damages that this type of coverage covers x-rays, chiropractic services, ER visits, and doctor visits.
- Emergency Roadside Assistance Coverage: With this type of coverage, you can save time and stress whenever you’re stuck in the middle of the road with a flat tire or even a broken windshield. You can call them 24/7 or request assistance via your phone with their GEICO Mobile app.
- Rental reimbursement Coverage: This type of optional coverage covers rental expenses if you’re not able to use your own car after a covered claim.
With GEICO, you can get personalized car insurance rates with excellent customer service via online or phone call. This is an insurance company that guarantees financial help and protection to you and your loved ones.
- Guaranteed renewal plan for drivers over age 50
- A long list of discounts
- Customer service mostly online and by phone; few in-person options
Undoubtedly, with their agents and their advanced tools, Allstate helps drivers with a broad range of policies. This nationwide trusted insurance company provides more than just a common auto policy. They provide insightful tools to help you manage your policy easier. Plus, other additional benefits such as deductible rewards and accident forgiveness. Moreover, Allstate can assist you online, by phone, and through local agents. Unfortunately, purchasing your policy through a local agent is more expensive than purchasing the same policy online. This is something to consider if you’re on a budget, but it’s great that Allstate offers you both options to choose from.
Allstate offers the following policies:
- Collision Coverage: This Covers expenses related to the damage or destruction of your vehicle from an accident or other collision
- Comprehensive Coverage: This coverage covers expenses regarding damages done to your vehicle. For instance, any damage caused by theft, hail, fallen trees, and vandalism.
- Liability Coverage: This one covers costs corresponding to injury, property damage, or death of others if you’re found responsible.
- Medical Payments Coverage: This coverage covers medical payments if you or your passengers are injured in a car accident.
- Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage: This coverage helps you pay expenses if you were involved in a car accident with an uninsured driver and if they are at fault.
- Sound System Insurance: This one covers any expenses you may have if you have to replace stolen or damaged audio and video gear.
- Roadside Coverage: This is great coverage for common unexpected events on the road like tire changes and jump-starts and it provides 24/7 assistance.
- Personal Injury Protection: This coverage covers costs regarding injuries you sustained in a covered car accident.
- Claim satisfaction guarantee
- Senior Adult discount
- Buying a policy from a local agent may cost more than buying online
- Policies increase
USAA is one of the best car insurances in the country. To qualify, you or your spouse must have served in the military. This insurance company provides the lowest rates available. As a result, this company ranks high in customer gratification and claim process. Luckily, USAA offers a flexible payment that adapts to your schedule. Moreover, when you start your policy, you don't have to pay right away. Also, if you're planning to move out of the state for retirement, USAA is a convenient option because it covers all 50 states. Additionally, if you happen to require rideshare coverage because you drive for Uber or Lyft, USAA has policies with a low-cost of $6 per month to guarantee you peace of mind when you’re on the road.
USAA provides several coverage options to guarantee your satisfaction:
- Comprehensive Coverage
Comprehensive coverage will help you pay for a replacement or repairment of your damaged vehicle that suffers from an incident such as fire, flooding, glass damage, and hail. If you're leasing or financing your car, this policy is often required.
- Collision Coverage: This coverage assists you financially if your vehicle is engaged in an incident while driving, such as collisions with stationary objects and collisions with other vehicles. If you're leasing or financing your car, this policy is often required.
- Liability Coverage: If you hit and hurt another driver, this coverage protects your assets if you’re legally responsible for their injury or death. It also helps to pay for the other driver’s car repair or replacement.
- Uninsured and Underinsured Coverage: If you're in a car accident with a hit-and-run driver or an uninsured driver, then this coverage helps you pay for injuries caused to you and your passengers, as well as property damage.
- Full Coverage Coverage: This coverage isn’t just one type of coverage, but instead a combination of coverages, including comprehensive, liability, and collision. It's more expensive, but it covers more unexpected events and saves money.
While USAA doesn't have insurance agents, you can get a quote on their website for free. The company also offers a fast customer service team by phone. Only accessible to active military members, vets, and their families, USAA is affordable and ideal car insurance that guarantees your satisfaction.
- Family discount
- Flexible Payments
- No payment when starting your policy
- Only veterans and families can qualify
Affordable Car Insurance for Seniors in Kentucky
Should Seniors Only Care About the Lowest Price?
Car insurance for seniors is indeed a bit pricier because senior drivers are prone to be involved in car accidents than other motorists. But, this doesn’t mean you can’t look for an affordable rate that will still protect you and give you peace of mind. Luckily, even though the rates can increase because of age, many car insurance companies provide plenty of excellent discounts.
Retirement brings a lot of great changes, and one of its perks is an auto insurance premium. After retirement you won’t need to commute to work, meaning you will most likely drive less. Because of this, the risk of an accident decreases ,so you don’t have to pay as much for your car insurance.
Is it possible that insurance premiums rise just because you’re a senior citizen? Well, that depends on the car insurance company that you choose. And, yes, it’s possible. Insurance rates are not only established by the age group you belong to, but also by your driving record. Your car model and color might influence your rates as well.
Cheapest Car Insurance Providers in Kentucky
The state of Kentucky demands drivers to have car insurance. And unfortunately, car insurance in Kentucky can be expensive compared to other states. The average annual premium in Kentucky will cost drivers $3,000 a year. But if you’re on a tight budget, then you can look for cheapest car insurance. There are places to find the cheapest car insurance in Kentucky. In this article, we discuss the best car insurances for you and also include different discounts that you can ask about.
Automobile Financial Responsibility Limits
|State||Insurance Required||Minimum Liability Limits|
|Kentucky||Bodily Injury Liability; Property Damage Liability, Personal Injury Protection, Uninsured Motorist, Underinsured Motorist||25/50/25 (3)
(This means your car insurance will cover up to $25,000 for each person hurt in a car accident and you're at fault).
In the charts below, you can see which of the above-listed car insurances are the most affordable, based on your budget:
Should Seniors Only Care About the Lowest Price?
How to Get Senior Discounts
Even though specific personal determinants such as driving history and area can influence your car insurance expenses, your premiums should decline or settle as you get older. Make sure to ask your provider whether you are eligible for any of the following discounts or not:
- Homeowners discount
- Good driver discount
- Military discount
- Multi-car discount
Even if you don’t qualify for these discounts, there are different ways to save on your car insurance policy. Driving experience, driving less once retired, and fewer claims might help you out getting more discounts. These are determinants to keep in mind when asking for rates.
Additionally, comparing personalized quotes from different insurances enables you to see the bigger picture. This strategy helps you choose the best coverage for you and your loved ones. Older adults can save money on car insurance costs by asking if they're eligible for additional discounts based on:
- Driver safety courses
- Taking minors off the policy
If you don’t qualify for the above discounts, you can do the following activities to reduce your car insurance rates:
- Now that you’re retired and driving less, you can inform the car insurance company to see if they reduce your costs. This also depends on what the companies define as "low mileage.”
- You can save green with the pay-per-mile programs installed in your car that record your mileage and driving conduct. With this, you can save money by driving safely.
- Taking a driving safety class can help you receive a discount. You can even take the course online and refresh yourself on all Kentucky traffic laws.
- Buy an anti-theft device or system.
- Maintain a clean driving record.
- Join an association like AARP.
Unfortunately, USAA and Progressive don’t provide discounts for seniors. But, the Kentucky Farm Bureau does. It provides a Senior Operator Accident Prevention discount that saves you money if you’re a senior citizen 55 years of age or older. In order to quality, you must complete an approved safety course. The Kentucky Farm Bureau also has other policies to choose from. For instance, if you’re a member of a farming association, you can also qualify for a Farm Association discount. If you already are insured with this company, you can qualify for the umbrella policy discount.
Roadside Assistance Provides Extra Security
Roadside assistance is invaluable. This coverage eases any frustration or emergency during an unexpected occurrence in the middle of the road. The Kentucky Farm Bureau and the USAA provide emergency roadside assistance that includes towing, as well as assistance if you get locked out of your own car. Also, Allstate has roadside coverage that will help you with car trouble. It covers everything from tire changes to jump-starts. They even deliver fuel if you run out and get stuck. GEICO also has roadside coverage that saves you time and stress. You can call them 24/7 or request assistance via your phone with the GEICO Mobile app.
It’s possible to find great and affordable car insurance for seniors in Kentucky. In this article, we provided five reliable and trustworthy insurance providers that offer great deals and coverage. In addition to searching for low rates, requesting discounts and keeping a good driving record are some of the best ways to save when you’re an older driver.
To get a lower rate on your car insurance compare quotes from multiple providers by clicking on the button below: